Hello friends, it a pleasure again that my words reach this blog and especially your computers, laptops or cell phones from where you read and follow us.
On this occasion we will talk about a very important issue in digital marketing, it is the link or hyperlink that accompanies your guideline or your content. The intention is to direct our audience to search engines, here comes Google, but we will talk about this later, first let define the name of this action and its functionality.
This link or hyperlink is known as “anchor text” or in Spanish the “texto de anclaje” its translation helps us to understand its function, since that is what it is all about, anchoring a content or information so that the reader moves to another final destination, where he or she can finish reading the information or complete a purchase action.
I like its name better in Spanish, so during the article I will keep calling it anchor text, and its purpose is to use it when inserting a link, or rather, the text you can read above a hyperlink.
The right words will make a right link
Using the right words in your anchor text will define the user attraction and surely their click. Let assume that the keywords above your link have to generate general information for the user, so he can read the attached words and know where he will be redirected when he clicks.
Ways to make an anchor text
We are going to simulate an example with a brand we are going to invent that will be called “Football Country”: a virtual clothing store for football lovers.
- Anchor text with url to the site: its main feature is that it embeds the brand name inside the site, for the shop it would be; www.paisfutbol.com
- Anchor text with the name: Its characteristic is to carry a name, most of the times it is the name of the brand or the company that owns the website. Country football.
- Anchor text with keyword: Its characteristic is that it carries a keyword which is the word with which you want to position yourself in SEO. Many brands usually use the name of the company. For the shop it would be like this. Country football Uruguay.
- Generic anchor text: This means that the anchor text is a generic one, which doesn$0027t say anything about your brand, it just invites an action; for example, “click here” or “enter here” are typical of this way of doing it.
We do not believe that one is more efficient than another, but we do believe that all forms should be tested in similar percentages.
The importance of anchor text for SEO
The importance lies in the fact that google search engines see it as one of the most important factors when identifying the theme of the website, since it is through the anchor text that other websites that want to link to us will identify our theme, making it easier to search for it. That is why it is extremely important to choose the correct words that the anchor text has, because it will be those words that will position us.
In a well-defined SEO-based strategy, one of the best decisions is to use different or varied anchor texts that look natural on the links.
The naturalness of the link
As you well know, Google has its rules. It has them for guidelines, for search engines, for keywords and it has them for anchor text, so you should always look for your link to be as natural as possible.
Here are some tips to help you use it. Keep in mind that the external link of a page is one of the key factors of SEO positioning.
Link your anchor texts to specific pages or websites, not directly to the home page
of your site because the user can get lost in the navigation and not specify any
action. In this way you will give strength to your concrete link by improving the experience of
- Do not abuse the keywords, otherwise google will detect them and punish them.
- It generates value in each text of each link.
- Try to change your keywords for each anchor text, always keep in mind what google thinks, because if you don$0027t use the same words it could be considered as invasive advertising, here we recommend you to use a generic text.
For 2 reasons, we do not recommend that you create too long anchor texts. One because the search engines may not give it the necessary relevance, and two, because they don$0027t look good aesthetically.
Now you know what an anchor text is, its importance and relevance for SEO and the different ways to create one.
Now optimize and be relevant to your target audiences!
share what you have learned with your colleagues and don$0027t forget to follow us on Facebook, @rockcontentlatam