If you already have a page in the great network of the seven kingdoms, the Internet, it is good that you know that optimizing URLs is a fundamental feature for SEO strategies.
In other words, search engine optimization translates into a mix of good techniques to improve your site or blog.
I don$0027t need to tell you how much it means to guarantee authority and visibility to make your business easier to find.
For that we need to understand how URLs are developed and the good use of them in digital marketing. Follow with us in the next lines and understand what they are about, their definition, the anatomy and finally, the best practices for SEO.
What is a URL?
Before we start, the term URL comes from the English (Uniform Resource Locator). This is the standard name for Internet resources.
Let me explain more clearly, it is the address that is written in the text box there in the browser bar that you use. Look up on the computer or smartphone and you$0027ll see it.
For Google search engines and users, is one of the main information points on a page . In fact, within the search engines, this is one of the first readings made to achieve information that is relevant to the user
What his anatomy like?
The best way to position a website is to use friendly addresses and to include keywords in its title to obtain the best results.
An example of a friendly URL:
- http:// – Protocol
- house – Subdomain
- micasa – Domain
- com – Top Level Domain (TLD)
- category – Subfolders
- product-detail – Page
- #top – Label
1. Protocol: there are two types:
- http: the most common, most pages are governed by it.
- https: better known as security protocol, widely used to protect users$0027 personal data and credit card information
2. Subdomain: is dependent on the main domain.
3. Domain : is the main level of a website.
4. Top Level Domain (TLD ): is an extension that follows the domain.
5. Subfolders : These are folders that are within a domain or subdomain.
6. Page : Where is the final content.
7. #TOP : used to present different options on the same page.
And, when we talk about ranking forSEO, the 4 most important categories are
- The domain
- The subdominal;
- The subfolders;
- And the page.
How to optimize URLs for SEO?
Below is a short list of some important SEO practices that will help you create friendly and optimized URLs.
1. Use the keywords
Keywords are responsible for much of the work of positioning and optimization of sites. Use them in the page and even in the URL.
2. Do not use capital letters
Be simple, a friendly URL is easy to be remembered by users.
3. Minus plus
It is recommended that it be short for two reasons.
- The user understands better;
- The shorter it is, the higher the search engine ranking.
4. Uses dashes
They are used to separate the words in the URL. This makes it easier for the engines to understand and consequently improve the relevance of your pages in the search results.
5. Have preference for words instead of numbers
How many times have you used numbers during your Google searches? Hardly ever, I guess. The words are more strong and replace the special characters. Readability is always the best.
Unless the keyword ultimately merits it, for example: The 4 Ps of marketing.
6. Put the most authoritative contents in the highest level folders
Organize and segment the content of your site by maintaining a logical structure in the URLs and that shows the importance of a certain page of the site. Understand that when there are fewer directories in the URL, i.e. the closer to the domain the page URL is, the greater the relevance attributed to it.
7. Use canonical URLs
It good for avoiding duplicate content. Usually, that happens when a page has more than one URL. To avoid this problem it interesting to do some little things like:
- Add a canonical tag in all versions of the URL, making it clear which is the main one;
- Choose which subdomain is the main one, either “no-www” or “www”.
- You can, in addition to all that, make a redirection in the server so that there is only one page presented to the users.
8. Strange characters: NO!
Here, the preference is always for letters and numbers. No graphic accents or punctuation. Remember we$0027re talking about search engine optimization. Be simple and clear. These details make it easier for the user to memorize the page, as well as to position themselves better in Google.
9. Uses mobile friendly URLs
All those who work with the digital market have noticed that nowadays most people use their mobiles a lot and nothing is fairer than making pages that are suitable for this technology. Google has perceived that and values the pages that are accessible on mobile devices . A responsive page gets better positioning when the user searches through the smartphone.
Tip : Don$0027t forget that the URL is one of the most important factors for search engines. Concentrate on being aware of new updates and alterations to the search algorithms. This will help you not to lose relevance and keep you well positioned.
Another thing that contributes to the success of SEO is to think first of the user who will visit your page and then of the search robot. What are you waiting for?